Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tip - Making your own 5,6 & 8 petal flowers

For those of you who don't have all the fancy die cutters and punches but really want to make your own flowers, here's a tip on how to cut your own 5, 6 & 8 petal flowers ANY size and shape you want.

Step 1 and 2 are common for all 3 variants

5 Petal Flower
Step 1
Cut a piece of CS or PP into a square. The size would depend of the size you would like your flower to be.









Step 2
Fold the square corner to corner forming a triangle










Step 3
Find the centre of the base of the triangle and then fold the right corner over to the left at a 135 degree angle as shown below
Step 4
Fold the left corner over to the centre as shown making a 90 degree angle to the base
Step 5
Draw the shape of the petal you would like. For my example I did a distressed looking petal
Step 6 - Cut around your drawn petal and open the folds............Viola, a 5 petal flower!!

NOW FOR THE 6 PETAL FLOWER

Follow steps 1 & 2 as above and then move onto step 3 from here

Step 3 - Find the centre of the base of the triangle and fold your corners up at an angle to form a cone shape as shown
Step 4
Draw the shape of the petal you'd like and cut out with a scissors
Step 5
Open the fold and you have your 6 petal flower

8 PETAL FLOWER

Again, use step 1 and 2 from above and then follow from here

Step 3
fold the right corner over to meet the left corner thus forming a smaller triangle
Step 4
Take the top layer from the left corner and fold it up to meet the opposite corner
Step 5
Turn over and do the same on the other side forming a concertina fold
Step 6
Draw the shape of your petal and cut out with a scissors

Step 7
Open the folds and you have your 8 petal flower


Now how easy was that!!!!!! Hope you enjoy!!











11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tip Wendy! Thanks for sharing!!! This is also great for custom made flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous tips, great when you don't have the right punch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...how clever are you??!!! Thanks for sharing Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very clever!! Steps I can follow and beautiful results to boot, for the 6 petal flower instructions I ended up with 10 petals so I got a bonus!! Thank you! I don't have a die cut machine or punches so this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a table piled high with paper scraps and was bursting with frustration when I came across your tip on making a five point petal---My 'Martha Stewart Syndrome' was not allowing me to make a free-hand, petal--I NEED symetry. Thanks for coming to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow thank you so much for sharing your talents with us ... have really enjoyed looking through your lovely blog ... I have punches but also do not have a die cutting machine so am dying to try these flowers ... thank you once again ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for taking the time to make this video for those of us who do not have the fancy stuff to make these! I cannot afford that fancy stuff and have been looking all over to find a way to make my own flowers! You are a life saver!!!Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks ,i follow your instruction very quickly and i like the flowers is so easy.one more time thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Wendy! I can't justify buying the punches or dies I would need when I already have enough supplies to open my own store! I have always wanted to find an easier way to make my own flowers. This is such an awesome tutorial!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your instructions are so clear and understandable. You make crafting much easier. Thanks

    ReplyDelete