Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tutorial - Vintage Clock

Clocks .....boy was I glad to see this trend come to life. I've always had a fascination with clocks, what's not to love. They can be both comforting, like the sound of a grandfather clock ticking away in your home, as well as functional. My grandparents had a large free standing grandfather clock in their home and I think this is where my passion for them stems from. I remember going to sleep every night listening to the tick-tock sound.....


I was absolutely delighted to see some of the big brands release clock themed patterned papers. Bo Bunny's timepiece collection is by far one of my favourite paper collections to date and is my inspiration for this vintage clock I created and would like to share with you.

Supplies
Glossy Paper
Alcohol Ink
Blending Solution
Blending tool
Clean felt pads
Pearls
Clock Stamp
Permanent Ink, like StazOn
Liquid Pearls
Ribbon
Chipboard key
UTEE
Heating tool

Step One: Gather all your supplies together. Depending on the diameter of the clock face stamp you use, cut a circle about 1/4" wider than the actual clock face. This will allow space to paste the rim onto. Cut your rim piece with the inside diameter measuring approximately the size of your clock face.
Step Two: Using your blending tool and a clean felt pad, colour your rim piece with a combination of espresso alcohol ink and copper mixative.
Step Three: For your clock face use a combination of espresso alcohol ink, gold and copper mixative with a generous amount of blending solution. This will give you background significantly lighter than your rim piece. Use a permanent ink like StazOn to stamp your clock image. I used a Cherry Pie Arts stamp for my face.
Step Four: I used a Dusty Attic vintage key chipboard piece for the chain hook of my clock. I embossed the top piece of the key with some brass UTEE. This is the only part of the key that will be visible on your completed project.
Step Five: Paste your three layers together starting with the chipboard key, then paste the clock face piece onto the bottom half of the key, last paste the rim of the clock onto the face piece.
Step Six: Add some pearls onto the rim. Position each pearl in line with the hour marks.
Step Seven: To finish my face I added some gold liquid pearls to the inner rim. I also added some ribbon which will make it easier to attach to a LO. You may also like to add a mini rose to the center of your clock face.

These will make a perfect addition to any vintage LO. You can dress your clock face up any way you want. You can add glitter, maybe use paints instead of alcohol inks. You could also add some vintage chipboard clock hands for extra dimension. Each piece will be a delightful piece of art.

4 comments: