This is something all crafters have encountered at some point. We conceive what we think are brilliant ideas and then when we attempt to reproduce those ideas in reality they fall short of our expectations and worse yet, look nothing like we originally planned.
This is what I was up against when I set out to work on a layout for the “white space” call. I am a self-confessed “busy layout” scrapper so it is always a challenge for me to leave white space on a layout. But I accepted the challenge and thought I had come up with a brilliant design to put it all together. Mixed Media is a relatively new concept to me and I have had aspiration to incorporate some paste mediums directly onto my scrapbooking projects since I first discovered them. I was hoping that this was going to be my opportunity. Little did I realise just how tricky these pastes can sometimes be to work with, especially to the very inexperienced. A quarter of the way into my project things started going horribly wrong, to the point that I had just about decided to throw what I had into the bin. I took a little break from the project and came back and realised I was faced with two options. I could either chuck out what I had done or re-think my original plan and see if there was any way I could salvage my project. Because I’m an extremely stubborn person by nature it is very hard for me to accept defeat so I altered my original design and persevered. I learnt a valuable lesson from this project and I’d like to share my experience with you.
To better understand this project I will give you a brief outline of the original design I had in mind. I had already selected the picture I wanted to use of my youngest son bare-chested lying on a blanket which I had printed out in black and white. I was going to crop the picture down and then add some gorgeous Dusty Attic angel wings to the picture. I then wanted to frame the picture with a combination of textured molding paste and some coarse pumice paste directly onto the cardstock. The angel wings would be embedded into the pastes along with a few random embellishments like buttons, metal keys, etc. Once this dried I would paint it all with some Liquitex metallic ink paints. This would all be done on a small area in the bottom left leaving the rest of the cardstock empty, thus creating white space. Sounds easy hey……..? Not so, I discovered the hard way.
I prepared myself for applying the pastes by placing a tablespoon full of both the Golden light molding paste and the heavy coarse pumice paste onto my non-stick craft mat.
Using a trowel, I applied some of the light molding paste around the two sides and top of the photo and some heavy coarse pumice paste around the bottom of the photo. I then used my finger to spread the molding paste creating dips and peaks as I went.
At this point I was ready to trash the project because there was no way I could work with what I had. At least that is what I thought until I took a breather and then decided to salvage this project. I don’t have pictures for the next few steps because I wasn’t sure if I could make this work and was too focussed on what I was doing to stop and take pictures.
Look at the stunning effect of the metallic paints on the coarse pumice.
I know that many of you will be able to relate to this experience and I hope that I have in some small way inspired you to dig a little deeper the next time you are faced with a situation like this. Don’t give up, just re-invent your original idea. You’ll never know unless you try.