Monday, January 3, 2011

Tutorial - Metal Flower


I came up with the idea for these while I was putting together my Secret Santa package for a COF I belong to over at sb.com. I wanted to create some unique homemade embellies and had just received my starter kit package from Ten Seconds Studio and was just itching to play. These are very simple and can be made using any petal shapes and sizes to obtain the finished look you want. They're also very versatile for both feminine and masculine LO's. Hey, if you're gonna put a flower on a masculine LO, why not make it a metal one!!

What you need
* Metal sheets in the colour of your choice
* Scissors - If you have a floral die cutter that can cut through metal then you can use that instead of hand cutting
* Embossing folder & Cuttlebug
* Embossing ink
* UTEE in colour of your choice
* Heating tool (not in picture)
* Non Stick craft mat

Ok, lets get started

Use your floral die cutter (if you have) or hand cut 2 large and 1 medium set of petals. I only realised at the very last step that I needed an additional large flower which is why I only have 1 large and 1 medium flower in the picture (brain cells are still on vacation...sorry).
TIP: I copied an image of a stamp onto a word document and then printed it out in several sizes to use as a template for my flower (templates used in above image)


Emboss all 3 flowers using your embossing folder and cuttlebug. You can then sand down the raised images on your embossed petals for a distress look or leave them untouched.

Add clear embossing ink to the tips of each petal on all 3 flowers. Cover with UTEE, shake off any excess UTEE and heat with your heating tool until UTEE has completed melted. For my flower I used platinum (Don't you just love that colour!!)


After you've embossed the tips of each petal with UTEE  allow flowers to cool. Using a rounded item like the handle of a paint brush, round each petal as shown above.

Starting with the large flowers at the bottom stack your flower with the petals alternating as shown above. Add any flower center you like to finish off your flower.

How easy was that!!!

Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. That is one awesome flower! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look wonderful! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flower is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I never thought of UTEE, thanks so much for that tip!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Wendy! That's one gorgeous flower!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just gorgeous Wendy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome flower tut! Thanks for always inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful,thank for sharing your ideas x

    ReplyDelete