Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tutorial - Fluffy Ballerina Blooms


The other night while my mom was over visiting we were fooling around with some fabric and she sewed a scrap length of fabric I had together and came up with these. I instantly fell inlove and just had to share this. I know there may already be a tutorial out there for these but I personally haven't found one yet so here goes......

What you need:
1. Very soft fabric like crushed organza or chiffon
2. Needle and strong thread - I used 2 stands of embroidery thread
3. small cardstock circle for back of bloom
4. Flower centers
5. Glue - I used a hot glue gun

Step 1 - It's important to decide what finished look you want BEFORE cutting your fabric
The width of the fabric will depend of how big you want your bloom. The fabric gets folded over so decide how wide you want your bloom before cutting the fabric. The large blue bloom in the pic above is approx 4inch wide finished and my fabric was 3 inch wide. For a smaller bloom obviously decrease the width.
The length will dictate how ruffled your finished bloom will be so again decide before cutting you fabric.
For the large blue bloom my fabric was 3inch wide and 1.5 yards long
For the smaller blue bloom my fabric was 2.5 inch wide and only 1 yard long (less ruffles)
For the yellow bloom my fabric was 2.5inch wide and 1.5 yard long

Step 2 - Fold width of fabric in half and do running stitches along the edges as shown in the pic







Step 3 - Once you reach the end try and untwist all the ruffles so that the sewed edges are all on one side











Step 4 - Take the 2 ends of thread and pull together so that the ruffles form a circle with the sewed edges to the center. AGAIN make sure to untwist the fabric and all the ruffles are facing outwards.









Step 5 - PULL TIGHT but carefully as to not break the thread. Once you have a tight center knot the thread several times and cut off excess thread.










Step 6 - You will notice that the bloom is VERY puffy so that is why the next step is important if you plan on using the bloom on a LO.
Turn the bloom over onto the back side and apply some glue (I used my hot glue gun) and attach the center of the bloom to your piece of circular cardstock. This will pull the front center of the bloom inwards and flat againt the cardstock creating a ballerina effect.












Step 7 - Turn bloom back over and apply your flower center and VIOLA, you have your very own ballerina bloom.












I made this little pink one (about 2 inch wide) using some chiffon. For this size my fabric was 2 inches wide and about 1 yard long.










HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!!!!

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Wendy. Just love how the flowers turn out.

    Lili

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now this I might try! Simple but oh so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic tutorial! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! Wendy these are so adorable!!!! I want some :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Wendy, thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous, Wendy! So, so, so pretty! Love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing flowers, Wendy!!! Tanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these Wendy... of course with the right material they look very elegant.. as your do.. i just LOVE that pink one. SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for tutorial! It's super cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of these and your tutorial is great.Ive bookmarked it to try it out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using a similar style. You could just stitch your material strip flat and thread elastic through.
    Use as a hair bobble.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! It's CUTE!! Beautiful the flower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely. Am certainly going to try this out. Been wondering how that is made. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great tutorial! So simple, but looks gorgeous, would never think of it myself! Thank you so much! I have tried, and love the result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome. I have had the heardest time finding the right shoe clipw for my wedding shoes. Now I can Just make them. TY

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just awesome Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been making these with different fabrics for years but I love how pretty they are with chiffon fabric. I have also made 2 different sizes and stacked them together. Love the three you made also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been making these with different fabrics for years but I love how pretty they are with chiffon fabric. I have also made 2 different sizes and stacked them together. Love the three you made also.

    ReplyDelete