Tuesday, October 19, 2010

~ The Woodland Fairy ~


This is my DD Erin posing in the garden for her plant crazy dad....LOL! My DH is as passionate about our garden as I am about scrapbooking so everytime a new flower comes into bloom he has one of the kids pose for a pic around the flower. He's come up with an idea to make a calendar with all the pics he's collected which I think is a marvelous way for us to combine our hobbies. But for now I just used the pic to create this LO which was made for several challenges.

The first being the October DIY contest over at swirlydoos. As the host of the DIY challenge over at sb.com this challenge was just screaming out to me to join. The prize on offer is also fab (8 smooch spitz worth $36) so I just had to give it a bash. This is also my entry for the monochromatic and no pp's challenges over at sb.com.
Last but not least I also made this LO as an example LO for the October DIY challenge using all 3 twist options in the respective categories.

I used the same technique as in my "a rare moment" LO using only white cardstock, UTEE and distress ink to create all the bg pp's. This time I first embossed the white cardstock with some clear UTEE using my large elegant script stamps from Heartfelt creations. I then inked over the embossed image with some spiced marmalade distress ink. As you can see the white cardstock shines through the clear UTEE......cool, hey!
I used walnut stain distress ink for the layer between the orange pp's and water distressed the top 2 layers. I made a short tutorial for this technique if you want to check it out
The twist for the paper embellishment category for the DIY challenge was these marvelous Mountain Lilies By Amarilys. They are so pretty and Amarilys has done a easy to follow step-by-step tutorial. I used 3 cream coloured beads as my center.
 The twist for the ribbon/fabric category was these Ribbon Rose Buds by Lisa Gregory which is now one of my favourite tutorials.................what's not to love. I made these using 15mm ribbon. I then added some floral wire spirals to create a mini vine. The floral tape was a rather bright lime green so I used some chocolate shimmerz paint to cover the tape.
I had some cream coloured lace in my stash which I first randomly painted with some orange craft paint. Once that had dried I used some tattered leather glimmer mist. IRL you can see the specks of orange a lot clearer than you can in this pic.
Dusty Attic is fast becoming one of my favourite chipboard brands. The details on their pieces are just exsquisite. I used the Lamp post #4 (DA0152) for this project. I first embossed the chippie with some walnut stain distress embossing powder and inked over it. I then spiraled some mini rose buds I found at a local craft store around the lamp post and added some mini leaves from my Swirly Leafs stamp set from heartfelt creations.

TFL, hope you enjoy all the tuts as much as I did.

5 comments:

  1. This is just really amazing Wendy! I love all the detail that you put into your layouts and it all turns out so gorgeous! Your talent is so fresh and creative!!!

    The colors on this are wonderful together! I sure wish I could make my rosebuds like you do...I know I would love the technqiue if I could do it right!!

    I love how you painted and misted the lace...its so pretty! Love the distressing and embossing! Really love how you made the lamppost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely gorgeous Wendy! First of all, I LOVE your background! That orange color really makes this layout pop! The picture is beautiful and those flowers, both the mountain lilies and the rose buds are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tones, great distressing and borders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Wendy... I can't stop staring at this layout!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! I would never think to use bright orange and brown... but this is just STUNNING!!! I love all of your techniques and you are soooooo incredibly inspiring to me!!! :) hugs... Tracy

    ReplyDelete